We connect international visitors and Iowans to educational and cultural resources, making Iowa a more inclusive and welcoming place to live, work, and raise a family.
As Iowa’s leader in international understanding and civic diplomacy, Iowa International Center enriches lives and creates pathways to prosperity.
We believe in
- Global cultural respect
- Growth and learning
- Embracing change
- Openness and community
Throughout the organization’s history, the many volunteers who provided leadership and time to the organization always believed the Center should be dedicated to international understanding between Iowans and the rest of the world.
The Iowa International Center was formed by a group of volunteers to assist immigrants fleeing the war in Europe. In 1941, the Center partnered with a group of community organizations to sponsor a Panamanian student’s trip to Iowa — a venture that led to the formation of the Pan American Board of Education.
In the 1940’s, this organization sponsored 150 college students from Panama and changed its name to the Iowa Children’s Institute of Language and Culture. Elinor Robson was hired as director.
In the 1950’s, the leaders of the Children’s Institute decided that building a cultural and international awareness was a task that needed a broader objective, and again, they changed the name of the organization to the Boards of International Education.
Throughout the 1960’s the name changed to the Des Moines Area Council for International Understanding. The council’s translation service became actively engaged in both emergencies and business work.
In 1976, the Council joined the National Council for International visitors (now called Global Ties), placing it, for the first time, in a national network of agencies to receive and schedule international visitors form the United States information agency. Thousands of emerging international leaders and industry professionals have visited Iowa through this program.
In 1978, Thomas Grouling was hired as Executive Director, and served the Council until June 1992.
The name Iowa Council for International Understanding was adopted by the Board in December, 1992.
Dr. Judy Conlin served as Executive Director of the Iowa International Center from 2008 until January 2017.
In August 2011, the Iowa Council for International Understanding changed its name to the Iowa International Center to better capture and describe the scope of its services and programs.
Patricia Grote superseded Dr. Judy Conlin as Executive Director in 2017, and is currently still holding this honorable position.
Meet Our Team
Global Language Program Manager
Board of Directors Executive Committee
Immediate Past President