Careers with the IIC
Hear Their Voices Program Coordinator VISTA and ELL Program Coordinator VISTA
We are looking for two AmeriCorps VISTAs to fill the position of Hear Their Voices Program Coordinator and ELL Program Coordinator. The VISTAs will be responsible for building community partnerships and outreach efforts, creating infrastructure, and developing resources for their respective programs.
The Hear Their Voices Program Coordinator assists the Iowa International Center’s programs aimed at removing language barriers for non-English speaking refugees and immigrants. This is a new program that offers free interpretation and translation services to low- and moderate-income refugees and immigrants. The goal for this position is to build capacity around this new program area, including process and policy development, scheduling/protocols, data management, resource development, community outreach/education, and partner engagement.
The ELL Program Coordinator helps the Iowa International Center deliver English language instruction to immigrants and refugees in locations that are convenient and familiar to the target population. Our ELL program teaches adult refugees and immigrants in order to assist with integration of their lives in Des Moines, and to set them on paths of prosperity through learning valuable life skills and language readiness.
These VISTA positions are part of a collaborative, community-wide initiative involving multiple partners, and where initiatives benefit the larger immigrant and refugee community.
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs designed to improve lives and foster civic engagement. As an AmeriCorps VISTA, you will be dedicating one year to a service opportunity in a field that you are passionate about. Benefits include:
- Living Allowance: VISTAs are given a gross yearly allowance that is paid out every two weeks.
- Health Benefits: VISTAs have the choice of participating in one of two benefit programs, but they are not health insurance.
- End of Service Benefit: VISTAs can choose between receiving an Education Award or a cash stipend at the end of their term.
- Child Care Benefit: If you have children under the age of 13 and you meet the financial requirements, you may be eligible for child care assistance.
- Loan Forbearance: Depending on the type of student loan, loan deferment or forbearance may be applicable.
- Leave: Each VISTA is given 10 days of personal leave and 10 days of medical leave with the permission of their supervisor.
- Training: VISTAs are provided with many training opportunities to help acclimate to the VISTA program and the new assignment, organization, and community.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please do so through the AmeriCorps portal:
Hear Their Voices Program Coordinator: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=88001
ELL Program Coordinator: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=87984
If you have any questions regarding these positions, please reach out to Catherine Tran, email@example.com or 515-282-8269.
The Iowa International Center is always looking for skilled interpreters and translators. We even have a whole page dedicated to detailing these opportunities! You can visit it here
We are currently accepting interns in the areas of International Language Programs, Marketing and Development and International Visitor Programs, as well as general administrative interns for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019. For more information about internships, click here
You can help us welcome the world to Iowa and introduce Iowa to the world as an Iowa International Center Volunteer. Click here for more information